Digital Surge Review 2023: Are The Fees Really That Low?
Published 07 Aug, 2021 Updated 02 Feb, 2023
Table of Contents
- 1 Our Takeaways
- 2 What Is Digital Surge?
- 3 Pros & Cons
- 4 Top Digital Surge Features You Should Know
- 5 Is Digital Surge Legit?
- 6 Accepted Countries
- 7 What Are The Fees?
- 8 Trading Fees
- 9 Getting Started With Digital Surge
- 10 Trading Experience
- 11 Customer Support & Reviews
- 12 Mobile App
- 13 Digital Surge Alternatives
- 14 Frequently Asked Questions
- 15 Our Verdict
Digital Surge is a trusted cryptocurrency exchange that provides Australians and New Zealanders direct access to buy Bitcoin and over 300+ other cryptocurrencies.
In this review, we’re going to give you an overview of the key features of this cryptocurrency exchange, how it stacks up against other popular Australian-based exchanges, and whether it’s the right choice for your investing needs.
UPDATE: Digital Surge has entered into administration and is no longer available to use.
Promotion: None available at this time
Trading Fees: 0.5%
Available Cryptos: 300+
We work with partners that may result in MoreCrypto earning a small commission. Read our affiliate disclaimer for further information.
UPDATE: Digital Surge has entered into administration and is no longer available to use.
Digital Surge is a trusted cryptocurrency exchange that provides Australians and New Zealanders direct access to buy Bitcoin and over 300+ altcoins. The simplicity of the platform’s design makes it apparent that Digital Surge wants the crypto buying process to be as easy as possible. It is this simplicity, together with its low fees and wealth of educational resources, that makes Digital Surge a strong option for beginners.
|Core Services||Buy crypto with fiat, SMSF|
|Fiat Currencies||AUD & NZD|
|Deposit Options||PayID, OSKO, POLi|
|Deposit Fees||$2 – $3.30 for POLi only|
|Mobile App||Yes (iOS and Android)|
What Is Digital Surge?
Digital Surge is a Brisbane-based cryptocurrency exchange that provides Australians and New Zealanders with an easy way to buy, sell and store over 300+ cryptocurrencies. From the beginning, the founders of Digital Surge have been on a mission to simplify the world of cryptocurrency for everyday Australians. They believe that crypto should be accessible to all and are intimately involved in the local Aussie crypto community, running several grassroots events for anyone interested in digital currencies.
Digital Surge is perfectly suited for both beginners and experienced investors who want an enjoyable trading experience, offering a range of advanced order types and trading features on its user-friendly interface. Digital Surge supports Australian and New Zealand users only.
Pros & Cons
- Simple and easy to navigate user interface tailored for beginners
- A free, highly secure wallet for all DS traders
- Low fees (0.5%) and competitive trading spreads
- Personalised and 100% Australian-based customer support
- 270+ supported assets, giving one of the widest selections
- Buy crypto direct with NZD (no conversion fees)
- In-built tax tool partnership with Koinly and Cryptotax calculator
- The ability to pay Australian bills using BTC
- 50% fee affiliate program
- Premium educational resources and expert trading advice for all DS customers
- Unable to buy crypto using credit card or PayPal
- Some coins not listed
- Unable to exchange crypto for crypto
- No current way to stake cryptocurrency
Top Digital Surge Features You Should Know
Low Fees and Competitive Spreads
Digital Surge’s flat trading fee of 0.5% per transaction is very competitive in the Australian crypto market. Digital Surge indicates that they can offer tight spreads of around 0.4%.
With Binance Australia offering trading fees of 0.1% for both maker and taker orders, Digital Surge is not the cheapest option. However, when compared to the bulk of Australian platforms where trading fees typically vary from 0.6% and 1%, Digital Surge offers great value for money.
In case you didn’t know, the spread is unrelated to the trading fee and not charged by the exchange or platform. The spread is the difference between the buy and sell price of a digital asset.
24/7 Australian-based Customer Support
Given that Digital Surge’s platform is tailored to suit newcomers to crypto, they also pride themselves on providing highly responsive and personalized customer support. The friendly customer support team at Digital Surge is located in Australia and has received outstanding reviews for prompt and helpful service.
Buy 300 Coins Direct Using AUD
With 300+ coins available on their platform, Digital Surge boasts one of the widest selections of cryptocurrencies in Australia. Supported digital assets include Bitcoin (BTC), Ethereum (ETH), Ripple (XRP), Solana (SOL), Cardano (ADA), and many more. Cryptocurrencies can be easily purchased using AUD meaning that currency conversion fees are not incurred. Buying and selling digital assets can be undertaken on the Buy & Sell page within the trading interface.
In-Built Tax Tool Calculators
Working out your crypto tax obligations at the end of each financial year can become confusing. Since the Australian Tax office (ATO) regards cryptocurrencies as assets or property, they are therefore subject to Capital Gains Tax (CGT) if capital or financial gains are obtained.
To make things easier, Digital Surge has partnered with Koinly and CryptoTax to provide you with a hassle-free way of generating crypto tax reports. These can be used to inform the preparation of your annual tax return. Digital Surge is one of a handful of Australian cryptocurrency exchanges to offer this service.
For more information on the tax implications associated with crypto trading, please read our informative Australian crypto tax guide.
Earn Interest On Your Crypto
In 2022, Digital Surge released its Earn feature which allows you to earn up to 23% Annual Percentage Yield (APY) on 12 cryptocurrencies including Cosmos (ATOM), Kava (KAVA), Polkadot (DOT), Solana (SOL), and Algorand (ALGO).
Whilst the number of supported crypto is limited and some high-market capitalization assets such as Ethereum 2.0 are not available, there is enough there for everyday HODLers to generate passive crypto rewards.
With the simplicity of the interface, earning interest on your crypto is a simple and straightforward process that is ideal for beginner investors who want to get the most out of their assets.
Pay Australian Bills Using Bitcoin
Digital Surge customers can pay any Australian bill or credit card that has a BPAY biller code with Bitcoin. The bill payment system is backed by a full exchange and order book, allowing currency transactions to be processed internally without being outsourced to third parties. Rather than restricting you from using funds held on your Digital Surge wallet, you can opt to use Bitcoin stored in a separate hardware wallet.
With blockchain technologies and the everyday applications of crypto becoming more mainstream, Digital Surge is one of few crypto platforms in Australia to offer this service.
If you are seeking to allocate a portion of your Self-Managed Super Fund (SMSF) to purchase digital currencies and build a long-term store of value, then you can do this with Digital Surge. Since Australian law requires personal assets and super assets to be held separately, you will need to create a separate SMSF account. This will require you to produce documents relating to the SMSF name, ABN, trust deed, and trustee information.
Cryptocurrencies held in your SMSF account are protected by Digital Surge’s industry-leading security measures. You can also purchase cryptocurrencies for your SMSF portfolio by utilizing advanced trading orders as well as DCA to minimize risk during periods of volatile price movements.
Want To Know More? Cryptocurrency SMSF In Australia
Crypto Education Hub
Digital Surge stands out from the competition by offering a fully integrated education hub called Crypto Simple that provides beginners with the knowledge they need to learn crypto basics. The education hub features a wide range of premium educational content that breaks the world of cryptocurrency investing down in a way that is simple and easy to digest.
Is Digital Surge Legit?
Digital Surge is a legitimate cryptocurrency exchange that is registered with AUSTRAC and licensed by ASIC to provide cryptocurrency services. AUSTRAC is the government body that enforces financial laws to minimize the risk of criminals using cryptocurrency exchanges for money laundering, terrorism financing, and cyber-crimes.
The Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Terrorism Financing Act 2006 requires regulated entities to collect information to establish a customer’s identity, monitor transactions, and report to AUSTRAC transactions or activity that is suspicious or involves sums of money greater than $10,000.
Digital Surge is only available if you live in Australia or New Zealand as the platform is locally registered and licensed to provide crypto products and services.
If you reside in other parts of the world then you will need to find a crypto exchange or platform that is licensed to operate in your jurisdiction and supports your local fiat currency.
What Are The Fees?
Deposit & Withdrawal Fees
Deposits of AUD or cryptocurrencies into the Digital Surge account wallet made using PayID and BPAY will not incur any fees. Digital Surge charges a deposit fee for POLi deposits that start at $2 and are capped at $3.30.
Digital Surge charges no fees for AUD withdrawals. Fees are not incurred when transferring crypto to an external hardware wallet, however, a standard network transaction fee will apply. The amount of the fee will depend on how busy the network is.
Digital Surge charges a flat fee of 0.5% to buy and sell crypto. Based on our research, this is quite competitive when compared to other top Australian crypto platforms like Swyftx (0.6%), CoinJar (1%), and Independent Reserve (0.5%).
If you trade high volumes, then you will be eligible to lower trading if your rolling 30-day trade volume meets the criteria shown in the table below. The trading volume is calculated every 1 hour, and the trading fees can be reduced to 0.1% if the volume exceeds 1 million.
|TRADING FEE||VOLUME (<30 DAYS)|
|0.40%||$100,000 to $250,000|
|0.30%||$250,000 to $500,000|
|0.20%||$500,000 to $1,000,000|
Getting Started With Digital Surge
You can use our Digital Surge referral link to claim $10 free Bitcoin upon creating a new account. Digital Surge will require you to go through a simple registration process that takes less than 5 minutes to complete. Once you complete this using a valid email address and strong password, you can log into your new Digital Surge account.
As Digital Surge is registered with AUSTRAC, they are legally required to obtain the basic details of its customers. Digital Surge uses RapidID to ensure the identity verification process is as fast, seamless, and secure as possible.
To complete this process, you will need to provide a form of Australian government-issued form of identification such as a driver’s license or passport, and a smartphone camera for a facial recognition check.
We strongly recommend you activate the Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) to provide an additional layer of account security. 2FA is a security process where two different methods of authentication are required to verify login into your account.
Deposit Options & Limits
Digital Surge offers instant and free deposits of AUD using PayID and Osko. They also offer fast deposits through POLi payments with fees starting at $2 and capped at $3.30)
Currently, you cannot buy crypto using a credit card, cash deposit, or PayPal which is a limitation compared to other platforms like Swyftx and Coinjar. Digital Surge advises that they are not able to facilitate deposits from credit cards due to the high risk of fraud associated with these transactions.
|DEPOSIT METHOD||DEPOSIT FEE||DAILY LIMIT|
|OSKO (BPAY)||None||Depends on bank|
More information regarding each deposit method is provided below.
- PayID – Your financial institution may hold the transfer for a period of up to 24 hours as a precautionary security measure. Subsequent deposits should be instant.
- POLi – An Australia Post-provided payment method that secures a connection to your internet banking service to conduct the transaction. Payments using POLi are completed immediately.
- Bank transfer – The name of your Australian bank account should match the name of your Digital Surge account to ensure funds are transferred. If the name of the bank account does not match then Digital Surge will reject the transfer.
For a cryptocurrency platform that is tailored to beginner investors, the Digital Surge trading interface is one of the best in the Australian market. The platform is designed with simplicity and everyday use in mind, however still retains a high level of practicality and functionality.
The account interface is split into four categories (dashboard, wallets, buy & sell, and markets) that can be navigated using the tabs at the top of the page.
- The dashboard tracks the total value of the user’s portfolio over time, a customizable list of top-performing digital assets, and links to the latest crypto news articles.
- The wallet tab displays the digital assets stored and their balances, with options to buy and sell.
- Trading crypto is achievable in the wallets and markets tab, however, more functionality is offered on the buy and sell tab. Users have the option of selecting a trigger price for a particular asset that they want to buy or sell. If the market price reaches the trigger price, then the transaction will be executed.
Each part of the interface is clean and visually intuitive which means that the learning curve for beginners finding their way around the platform will be short.
The menu icon in the top-right hand corner will reveal a number of the platform’s other unique features, including:
- Price Alerts – The ability to set up price alerts on any cryptocurrency so you can be notified when a coin you watching reaches a certain price. Transactions are not executed.
- Trigger Orders – Trigger orders (i.e. stop loss and take profits orders) allow you to set the price you wish to buy or sell at and have the order automatically placed when the price is matched. Unlike most exchanges, Digital Surge doesn’t lock funds when a trigger order is placed. This means multiple trigger orders can be created, and whatever one order hits first will be successful.
- Recurring Buys – Recurring buy is a strategy to manage price risk when buying cryptocurrencies. Rather than buying the whole amount of crypto in a single transaction, recurring buys allow the asset to be purchased at regular intervals using small amounts of funds. This decreases the potential risk of paying too much for an asset during times of market price volatility.
To buy or sell cryptocurrency, you can click on the buy/sell button of each asset, which will bring up a live chart and price in AUD. There are fields to enter in the amount you would like to buy in AUD, how much of that cryptocurrency you will receive, as well as a display of how much you have in your bank account.
Customer Support & Reviews
The customer support team at Digital Surge is highly rated and can be reached through live chat or via email. On average, the response time of the live chat is less than one hour.
Digital Surge also provides an interactive Bitcoin wizard to help you get started. There is a FAQ section on the website that answers the most commonly asked questions related to Digital Surge, along with an integrated crypto education hub tailored for beginners learning about cryptocurrency.
Based on 554 customer reviews on Review.io, Digital Surge has a rating of 4.8/5.0 with 97% of reviewers recommending the platform. We noted that positive feedback typically related to the platform’s ease of use, helpful customer support, and the lack of issues commonly seen on other platforms.
The Digital Surge platform features a mobile app that allows you to access all the functionality and features of the desktop version. The app is compatible with both iOS and Android mobile devices. Biometric fingerprint or facial recognition log-in can be set up which is a unique security feature that is not commonly available on most Australian crypto mobile apps.
We found the app to be quick and responsive with no delays in switching between the different sections. In terms of its visual design, the mobile app is a like-for-like copy of the desktop version. Overall, the Digital Surge mobile app is visually pleasing and easy to use. There are no fancy features or tricks, it simply does what it needs to do by providing you with a fully functional mobile version of the Digital Surge platform.
Digital Surge Alternatives
If Digital Surge doesn’t suit your crypto investing needs, then you can consider the following platforms as alternatives. All of the suggested crypto platforms provide similar products and services, are registered with AUSTRAC, and are beginner-friendly.
- Swyftx (best Australian exchange overall). Swyftx is our best-rated cryptocurrency exchange that is available for Australian and New Zealand investors and traders. The platform has a wide variety of features including a well-designed user interface, deep liquidity, low spreads, DCA, and advanced trading tools. For more information on how the two platforms differ, you can read our Swyftx versus Digital Surge review.
- CoinSpot (Australia’s most trustworthy exchange). CoinSpot is a highly trusted and reputable Australian exchange that provides a vast selection of crypto assets to buy and trade (310+). Like Digital Surge, the platform interface is easy to understand and master. For more information on how they compare, you can read our Digital Surge versus CoinSpot review.
- Easy Crypto – The New Zealand cryptocurrency exchange has expanded its service offerings to the Australian market. Easy Crypto Australia is best known for its easy-to-use website, investors on the platform that purchase Bitcoin will have the funds sent directly to a hardware wallet.
- CoinJar (similar features to Digital Surge). CoinJar offers 52 digital currencies and innovative products and is suitable for beginners and everyday crypto users. The Coinjar Card is one of the best crypto debit cards available to Aussies.
- Cointree (suitable alternative for beginners). A solid choice for beginners and intermediate investors who don’t need advanced trading features.
- Coinstash – Coinstash is a relatively new crypto platform in Australia that offers similar features to Digital Surge. For more information, you can read our Digital Surge Versus Coinstash review.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Digital Surge Legit?
Digital Surge is a legitimate Brisbane-based exchange that is registered with AUSTRAC and licensed with ASIC to provide cryptocurrency products and services. AUSTRAC is a government body that enforces financial laws to minimize the risk of criminals using crypto exchanges for money laundering, terrorism financing, and cybercrimes.
Does Digital Surge Support Crypto Staking?
Currently, Digital Surge does not provide cryptocurrency staking services for customers to earn passive rewards through the Proof-of-Staking (PoS) consensus.
Australian investors and blockchain enthusiasts still have staking options, however, there is a lack of local exchanges to choose from. For more information, you can read about our review of the best places for Australians to stake crypto.
Are There Any Transfer Limits?
Digital Surge has a daily deposit and withdrawal maximum limit of $20,000, which can be increased to $100,000 upon request.
How Do I Pay Bills Using Bitcoin?
Digital Surge customers can pay their bills or credit card that have a BPAY biller code with Bitcoin. There is a payment wizard which will provide the option to make a BTC payment to a BPAY bill, credit card, or Australian bank account. Once the payment option is selected, the funds are taken from either your Digital Surge wallet or an offline cryptocurrency hardware wallet of your choosing.
Is there a Digital Surge Mobile Phone App?
Digital Surge has an iOS and Android compatible mobile app that provides you with access to all the features and functionality of the desktop platform. Biometric login (fingerprint or facial recognition) can be set up as an additional security measure.
Does Digital Surge Allow Investing in Cryptocurrency using SMSF?
Australians wanting to invest with their Self Managed Super Fund (SMSF) can open an account with Digital Surge to do this. Investors can easily purchase a wide range of cryptocurrencies (300+) with their Australian Super. Digital Surge’s platform also offers Trust and Company accounts.
Do Digital Surge Support Users In Other Countries Besides Australia?
The Digital Surge platform is only available to persons residing in Australia and New Zealand. If you are living in a country other than Australia or New Zealand and want to buy/sell cryptocurrency, then you will need to use a different crypto exchange.
Does Digital Surge have a Referral Program?
Digital Surge offers an outstanding crypto affiliate program that few other Australian exchanges currently do. Digital Surge payout 50% of fees collected on all trades made by accounts all users have referred. This allows users to earn a passive income for referring friends and family to Digital Surge.
Overall, Digital Surge is a unique user-friendly Australian-based crypto exchange with an immaculate security record and competitive trading fees. Compared to other exchanges, it has a wealth of educational content and is a very easy-to-use platform for buying, trading, and selling crypto in Australia.
If you are looking for a Bitcoin and cryptocurrency exchange with low trading fees, a no-fuss buying experience, and excellent customer service, then you may want to consider Digital Surge. We find Digital Surge will be best suited for beginners and experienced traders alike.
Did You Find What You Were Looking For?
Swyftx vs Crypto.com 2023: Which Is Better For Aussies?
Updated 02 Feb, 2023
There are quite a lot of differences in the crypto service offerings of Swyftx and Crypto.com. Which platform best suits your individual crypto needs?
Best Places To Earn Crypto Interest In Australia
Updated 02 Feb, 2023
There aren't too many options for Aussie to earn interest on their crypto, however, there is one local exchange that provides great rates on popular assets.
Digital Surge Referral Code – Claim Your Free $10 BTC
Updated 02 Feb, 2023
Our Digital Surge referral link will net you $10 free of Bitcoin upon creating a new account. Click here now to avoid missing out.